Monday, December 12, 2011

Santa Mittens



Aren't these the cutest???!!! I knit a pair for Cindylou for her first Christmas 16 years ago.....and ever since then, I hang them on my tree as an ornamet. Well, I've known of a few babies born this year, so I knit a few more pair...and decided to write out the pattern. They whip up super quick in just a few hours...plenty of time to make a baby happy and warm this Christmas :)



Here's what you need:

size 8 needle
Red Heart Sport yarn in red, black, pink and white

Cast on 24 stitches in red. Knit 11 rows of ribbing. Continue with red and knit 4 rows of stockinette.



Then knit 4 rows of white.



Knit 8 rows of pink in stockinette. Knit 10 rows of white. Then bind off. Make two of these.



Using black and red yarn and a darning needle sew stitches on to make his face. Turn inside out and fold in half to sew up. That's it!! Waaaaay cute :) I'm linking up to Jennifer Juniper's Tutorial Tuesday over at Hope Studios....check it out. Merry Christmas!


15 comments:

sassy said...

those are quite possibly the cutest mittens i have ever seen!
I we lived closer so you could teach me to knit!

Wendy said...

Oh my gosh Miss Treat! How cute are those!!!

Knitter 901 said...

These are adorable! How do you get the white garter stitch to come out pointed?

Unknown said...

Drenda, at a guess it would be as there is an odd number of coloured rows prior

Unknown said...

why are the stitches being held on the holder?

Unknown said...

So love this and a perfect thing to make in a snowy day like today thank you so much

Anonymous said...

How do I get the rest of the pattern for the santa mittens. It seems to stop half way through the pattern. Thank you

Pamela Wile said...

Sweet mittens. Do you decrease stitches before casting off? Usually that's the case, but I don't see that in the instructions. If you don't decrease, the top of the mitten would be square.

Mariellen Jordan said...

Hi Pamela wile did you get an answer.? I was thinking the same thing

Anonymous said...

These directions are wrong

Anonymous said...

These are very cute but the directions are wrong

Anonymous said...

I followed written directions and then used the following to decrease to a point.
Row 1: k4, k2 tog across
Row 2: k3, k2 tog across
Row 3: k2, k2 tog across
Row 4: k1, k2 tog across
Row 5: k2 tog across ( 4 stitches on needle)
Cut yarn, draw thru 4 stitches and sew up side

DrTomlinson said...

Thanks so much. I will certainly try this.

Anonymous said...

What needle size in most plz?

Anonymous said...

It reads needle size 8-what is that in millimeters plz?