Tuesday, July 8, 2008

wild raspberries




We have a "trail"...and I use that term loosely....it's actually a stone driveway that the developer put in to get to the retention pond down behind the end of the cul-de-sac...but the kids and I prefer to call it a trail....along it are tons of wild raspberry bushes........three years ago when my niece was babysitting the kids she took them down there with a bucket from the sandbox and they picked a whole bunch....she is truly a phenomenal baker and decided to make a pie and of course, the crust from scratch!!......I am NOT a baker and admire and love everything she makes and shares......well, my husband and I were at her house for card club that night and she trooped all of my kids over to get her mothers huge can of Crisco because she couldn't find mine....well.....I don't have one!!!....because again, I don't bake!....and I also don't have a rolling pin, which she also found out......but she found the one in the playdoh bin that worked just fine!!...it turned out scrumptious!....I noticed my daughter put a note on her bulletin board that summer that made note of the date they picked the berries, so she would know when to go back and pick more the next summer......and they did!.....well, I made little danishes out of them!!....a friend of mine has a wonderful cooking and baking blog....marzipan mom.....check it out!.....and I KNOW she would have made hers from scratch......but mine are made from crescent rolls!....just a little cream cheese and the berries inside....bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.....the kids loved them!!.....well, it seems to have turned into a tradition...and I love traditions of any kind!!!....which may have to be a post at some time.....because yesterday they picked these adorable berries, just the size of Snowcaps from the movie theater.....Cubby came running through the backyard yelling that he wanted to make those fruit sandwiches again!!...what a memory on that little guy!........and so we did!!!

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Those look so yummy!! We have wild blackberries and wild black raspberries surrounding our property at the edge of the woods. We rarely bake anything from them because they get gobbled up right out of the bowl, on top of cereal and my favorite way...over vanilla ice cream. How can you beat fresh-picked (and free!) berries???