Saturday, March 13, 2010

Whoopie Pies....Oh My!!!!!!!



People.......THESE.ARE.AMAZING!!!! I did not grow up in an area where there were Whoopie Pies....I only discovered them when I moved here to Western Pennsylvania....and I have had one or two in my travels.....but I've never, ever attempted to make them...well, they are EEEAAAASSSSSYYYY!!!!!!! I came across them on a blog I follow.... Saucy's Sprinkles....click HERE to see......... Of course she is sooooo talented in the baking department and made her cake part from scratch...of course. Oh, and I apologize for the yellowish hint to my picture....the first ones I took during the day were blurry :(



Well.....I "dumbed" mine down and used a boxed cake mix.....super quick and I made the executive descision that my kiddos wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Then there was the PAN. My dad got me two of these for christmas because he knows I love the muffie tops from Panera. I think he got them online.....I saw them at Williams and Sonoma for $24.99 each....you can certainly make these without the pan and just use parchment paper I'm sure.....anywhoo......

I made the cake mix according to the directions. I sprayed the pans with cooking spray, then filled the wells almost to the top. If you don't have the pans, I would suggest to use a small scoop and put the batter on the parchment paper on cookie sheets...do a test run to see how much they spread. Bake them for 8-10 mins, or until a tootpick comes out clean and they bounce back when you lightly touch them. Let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then put them on a cooling rack. A tip would be to cool them with the right side facing up so you don't get marks on them. When cool put a generous amount of the fluff in between and enjoy with a cold glass of milk. ****Warning****** These are SUPER sweet!!!!!!!!!! I mean it!!!!! But you'll love them! So go on......"Whoop" it up!!!!!

Super Perfect White Fluff Stuff in the Middle:
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter
6 Tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt

To prepare the filling, use the flat beater on your stand mixer. Combine all ingredients on low speed until just blended and then crank up the speed to medium-high until fluffy, about one minute. It will be nice and fluffy... and kind of sticky. That's a good thing. This recipe makes 8 whoopie pies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My teeth ache thinking about how sweet these must be:)