Monday, June 2, 2008

The Y



It all started the week after Christmas 2006 when my husband took the kids up to try it out......they joined that night with some of the money my Dad had given us for Christmas......I can honestly say that I was a bit upset because I was nervous that we wouldn't use it and it would be a waste of money......they all loved to go swimming and I walked the track.....increasing my speed and number of laps as the days and weeks went by....I thought I was getting in shape!.......I noticed the classroom at the bottom of the steps and peeked through the window.....I was sooo intimidated......I hadn't done a group exercise class since college....I picked up a schedule and checked it out........another few weeks went by and then in February 2007 a neighbor up the street invited me to go with her to "Bootcamp"......I literally stressed out all weekend until the day of class arrived...........a neighbor of mine was the instructor and noticed me come in and gave me a big hello over the microphone!!.......I totally died in the back row!!!.....I was wearing my old running shoes , a big, old t-shirt and a pair of gym shorts.....I came back for a few other classes and pretty soon it started to become a habit.....I was afraid to buy a pair of shoes or any "real" workout clothes.....I wanted to be sure I was going to keep going.......and by summer I was totally hooked!!!!!......I started seeing results and making friends......it's a whole new part of my life!!!!...and I love it.....there were many days when my youngest wouldn't go into the playroom and I had to bribe him.....but it was worth it!!!......I wasn't losing any weight which was a bit discouraging.....but I was toning things up I didn't know I had.....I started to get serious about watching what I was eating and I actually moved up to the front row in class!!!!.....at the holidays the instructors held a "don't gain, maintain program" and I took it very seriously!!! I lost and I was happy!!!....I've setteled into a routine with my favorite classes and I look forward to going from the moment I get up.....sometimes my niece comes with me and I love it!!!....I must admit there has been a time or two when I didn't feel like going, but knowing everyone else would be there made me not want to miss......my friends and family have noticed my results and it is encouraging to keep up the hard work!!...and for the first time since before I had kids I actually bought a bikini!!!....I'm not sure if I'm going to wear it in public.....but maybe I will???....I can't thank my instructors/friends enough for all of the inspiration and motivation they have given me......it truly has changed my life.....thank you! thank you! thank you!

2 comments:

Joy Beadworks said...

Yeah for you!! I really need to get back into the back row! A bikini! (gasp!) Terrific!

Jennifer Juniper said...

Yay for the Y! I found you there and I love it!!! Hey, sewing bee next week, look for the email!