Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What is it Wednesday????



I can't believe I haven't put pasta in my lovely glass canister yet....well, this is the week! I don't often buy shells...but a few weeks ago when that BIG HUGE storm hit Pittsburgh, one of my neighbors organized an impromtu potluck dinner after we had finished digging out. Everyone brought something and one of my neighbors brought homemade macaroni and cheese. It was sooooooo good and my kids loved it! I had forgotten all about it....it must have been 10 years since I've had it. I took the time to make it once or twice when Cindylou and T. were toddlers...and they didn't care for it AT ALL! They only wanted the stuff from the box. I've never even made it for Cubby.....so it was his first time having the "good stuff". When I finally made it to the store after the storm, I got the ingredients to make it and in case you're like me and haven't tried it in a while...give it whirl...it will take you right back to when you were little.....

1 lb. shells or elbow macaroni
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. white pepper
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 lb. Velveeta-cubed...I used the kind made with 2% milk

optional:
1-2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 cup bread crumbs

Cook the macaroni and put into a buttered 11 x 13 pan. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour to the butter and blend. Add the milk slowly until it thickens. Add the salt, white pepper and dry mustard. Add the Velveeta and stir until it melts. Pour it over the pasta and stir carefully until the macaroni is coated. If you like you can put the buttered bread crumbs over the top. Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until bubbly.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Yeah, why do they like the boxed stuff so much?

a friend to knit with said...

homemade mac + shells = YUM!

Joy Beadworks said...

Did Cubby like it? I'd probably have to call it something else over here. "Mac N Cheese" ONLY comes from a box.

Bragarmar said...

This is the big guys favorite (other than meatloaf)- however I found a quick recipe made from a white sauce - YUM - maybe I will have to put this on my meal list for next week!

Lisa Russell said...

I have a recipe somewhere that uses shells in place of lasagna noodles, for a shell lasagna. Really good!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....mine prefer the boxed, but I may bring them into the light with this recipe!

Jennifer Juniper said...

I'm making mac & cheese tonight since we can't have meat. Maybe I'll try your recipe!!! See you later at "our place" with the girls!