Sunday, July 25, 2010

Stuffed Peppers



I can't believe I have never made stuffed peppers before....I guess my mom didn't care for them because she never made them....and growing up I didn't like for green peppers so I never missed them. The reason this recipe may have caught my eye is because it's made with red peppers! I came across it in Redbook magazine in April and it's been kicking around my desk for a few months waiting to be tried. I was a little anxious wondering if the kiddos would like them...well, I got 2 out 3, which isn't bad! I actually cut the recipe in half.....and a few of us put taco sauce on them after they were baked for some added zest! Yuuuuum! Here's the recipe:

6 large red peppers
2 1/2 cups long-grain rice (or the rice of your choice)
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1/2 medium sized sweet onion- diced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes, with their juices
1 10 oz. can Rotel dieced tomatoes and green chilies
16 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated (about 4 cups)
pepper
salt

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut the bell peppers in half, top to bottom. Remove seeds and the ribs. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, cook the rice according to package directions. In a medium skillet, brown ground beef, onion and garlic. Drain the meat. In a medium saucepan, bring the tomatoes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, rice, tomatoes, pepper and salt and mix until blended.
3. In a 9x13 inch pan, place the bell peppers skin side down. Evenly divide the beef mixture among the pepper halves. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle with cheese. Return the pan to the oven, uncovered, for about 5 minutes, until the cheese melts.

1 comment:

sassy said...

those are now on my to do list!!!!
Great idea about the large canvas print-have you tried one yet? I'm wondering where to order from?