Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chile Chicken Casserole



First let me start off by saying, I DO NOT give those people that take pictures of food for cookbooks enough credit!! Seriously, this casserole looks really yummy in person....in this picture....not so much.

Anyhoo...my real life friend Bragarmar gave me this recipe at football practice a few weeks ago and I've been waiting to try it. My whole family really liked it....I changed it just a smidge by adding fresh cilantro...because I had it, and it sounded mexican-y....and I used a handy dandy roaster chicken from Costco instead of cooking the chicken myself.....yes, the umpteenth reason for loving roaster chickens!!

Well.....here we go.....

2 cups uncooked radiatore pasta
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 Tbsp. butter
2 (10-3/4 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
2 (4.5 oz) cans chopped green chilies, undrained
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
chopped cilantro...according to your taste
4 cups chopped cooked chicken...this is where I used a roaster chicken from Costco!
1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese

1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and set aside. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the onion and celery in butter until tender; about 4 minutes.

2. In a large bowl combine the soup, sour cream, chilies, cilantro, onions, celery, pepper and chicken. Stir in cooked pasta. Pour mixture into a 3 qt. casserole sprayed with cooking spray.

3.Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until melted. Makes 6-8 servings.

2 comments:

Bragarmar said...

I'm glad you tried this first! I like the idea of adding the cilantro!! I will put this on my next menu to make!

Wendy said...

Yummy! Looks perfect for the chillier days we've ben having.