Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Bundle up that baby...how to make your own receiving blankets



I have been making these over-sized receiving blankets for years. Sooooo many babies and mommies love them that I thought I'd share my suuuuuppper easy method of making them.



I start by purchasing a 1 1/4 yards of your favorite cuddly flannel. Most flannel comes in 45" widths...so by getting a 1 1/4 yards...they come out in a big, perfect square. I prefer these for lots of reasons.....they are big enought to fully cover you when you're nursing, they make a big area to lay the baby, or to cover the matress when they're sleeping....so if there is a little mess you can just switch out the flannel blankie in the middle of the night without having to change the sheets at 4 a.m. :)

Simply start by pressing an even 1/2" all the way around....



...then fold it over again, and press again so there are no raw edges.



I set my sewing machine to the biggest zig-zag stitch....and stitch all the way around.



Literally you can make a few of these in 30 minutes or less...



I'm warning you though, you will have non-crafty mommies calling for more!!! They quickly find out those thin, little, teenie ones you get in the store just don't hack it in the real world. Now pop on over to my real-life friend Jennifer Junipers blog and link up your own little tutorial to her amazing linky party...I just did :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How sweet is that? I wish I could sew....