Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Chicken Fried Rice



I've had this kicking around my brain for a few weeks now that I've been wanting to try this. A friend at the gym put it into my head, so I googled a recipe and got my ingredients. The recipe I found had a place for comments and a girl whose family had a chinese restaurant left a big long comment with lots of helpful hints. I kid you not....this tastes JUST like you got chinese take out!!



I swear the secret ingredient must be the oyster sauce....

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts- cubed (I diced mine pretty small)
salt
pepper
garlic
garlic powder
onion powder
oyster sauce
butter- 2 Tbsp
sesame oil- 2 Tbsp
4 scrambled eggs
16 oz. bag frozen peas and carrots
1 medium onion- chopped
1/4 c. soy sauce
7 cups Jasmine rice- cooked, cold

Directions:

Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and a Tbsp. oyster sauce. ( I probably used more like two...) Heat butter with sesame oil. Add 3 cloves garlic and the diced onion with chicken.(I used that minced stuff from a jar) Cook until no longer pink. Add scrambled eggs. Cook 3-4 minutes, then add peas and carrots. Mix in the cold rice. Add 1/4 cup soy sauce and stir fry until golden brown. At this point I also added extra sesame oil too...

Stuff I learned:

1. Oyster sauce doesn't taste or smell anything like oysters....but I swear this is what gives it that authentic taste.
2. I would certainly cut this recipe in half next time!!!!!! It makes enough to keep a chinese restaurant supplied on a busy Friday night.
3. You can use your spaghetti pot if you don't have a wok. I thought I would just do the stir fry part in my skillet but there's waaaaaaaaay too much for that, so I dumped it all in my pot and it worked pretty good.

I'm going to link up to Jennifer Juniper's Tutorial Tuesday......stop over and check things out, there is always toooooonns of great stuff.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh--isn't that amazing that it made SO much! I'm glad you give recipes with tips and hints for us!