Sunday, December 20, 2009

Candy Cane Cookies




I have loved these cookies since my sister in law introduced them to me over fifteen years ago. They are not very sweet, and have a hint of almond to them. She knows how much I love them and one year she even made them for me for my anniversary....It's on February 13th and she connected two of them together and made them into hearts. Of course I have tried to make them in the past...and you guessed it... no luck! But YIPPEE for me!! I have to say they taste exactly like my SIL's and I couldn't be happier!!! There's still time to make a few......here's the recipe:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

Mix together:
1c. butter
1c. powdered sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla

Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour and 1 tsp. salt. Divide dough in half and add 1/2 tsp. red food coloring to one half. Chill for 1/2 hour. Roll out ropes of each color dough and twist together. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 9 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar on top. I doubled the recipe.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Hmm, I think I need to come to your house. I can just smell the cookies baking! And making them into a heart for your anniversary, How flippin sweet is that?

Judy@cutest-little-things.blogspot.com said...

I make candy cane cookies every year! Would't be Christmas without them! Mine are a butter cookie though...yours look adorable!

Anonymous said...

I used to make those--how could I have forgotten them!